Tuesday, September 26, 2006

One Act Play

Dramatis Personæ

Bald Monkey, a code monkey from India.
The Other Code Monkey, another code monkey from India.
The Subway Lady, the sandwich artist at Subway.

ACT I

Scene I -- At a Subway franchisee in a mall in Maryland. The Other Code Monkey and Bald Monkey are in queue. The Other Code Monkey is in front of Bald Monkey.

The Other Code Monkey: Can I have some of that capsicum in my sandwich ?
The Subway Lady: Sorry. What was that ?
The Other Code Monkey: Some capsicum ?
The Subway Lady: Sorry. I dont know that.
The Other Code Monkey: Some capsicum ?
The Subway Lady: Sorry. I dont know that.
The Other Code Monkey: Some capsicum ?
The Subway Lady: Sorry. I dont know that.

[Repeat for five minutes]

The Other Code Monkey: Some capsicum ?
The Subway Lady: Sorry. I dont know that.
Bald Monkey (to himself): Bollocks !
The Other Code Monkey: Some capsicum ?
The Subway Lady: Sorry. I dont know that.
Bald Monkey: The green peppers please ?
The Subway Lady: Aaah. The green peppers ! Here you are.
The Other Code Monkey: Thank you.
[Exeunt The Other Code Monkey]

[Bald Monkey finally gets his lunch and does happy dance.]

8 comments:

Mono said...

I did a "Other code monkey" once.Only diff being, I asked for Coriander Leaves :D.Thanks for opening the eyes of other code monkeys like me.

P said...

ROTFL!!

Anonymous said...

I knew another code monkey who ordered pepperoni pizza thinking it to be pepper (capsicum) and onion! honest! that co-mo found out on asking "where's the pepper and onion"?

Bald Monkey said...

@mono: Thank you ! I am to please.
@Prespective inc: Good for you !
@Umesh: The pepperoni story deserves a whole new play man !

Anonymous said...

well reminds me of the 'buffalo wings'.

Anonymous said...

... in which case that qualifies Jessica Simpson as an other (pun intended) code monkey. She also wondered if "chicken of the sea" was really chicken!

Anonymous said...

I think we are all making too much out of a comunication gap that can arise naturally out of differences in culture and expression. If you referenced the word "capsicum" on the 'net you may find that we are not the only people who refer to the vegetable in question by that apparently "hilarious" name.
I may be an old fuddy duddy getting on in years but I think its still comfortable to continue referring to aubergines as brinjals and to erasers as rubbers. Those are the terms grew up and grown comfortable with ( as bald monkey points out so aptly in one of his other posts.)

Bald Monkey said...

@MD:
Nobody is laughing at the term "capsicum". I still call them that. Pepper is that thing which hangs around with the salt on the table. What is certainly hilarious are the situations which arise from these differences in expression. The joke is on everyone.